Monday, April 24, 2017

Customer Support Secrets - Equal treatment/Not 1



When I finally decided to write on a subject as this, a few things were running through my mind. This topic is 2 sides of a coin but I will stick to one today.  So a friend had shared her experiences with me about how she went into a shop to make some enquiries and she was disgusted by the way the shop attendants looked at her,( literally looked at here from head to toe before addressing her)  and doubted she was capable of buying what she asked for. In her mind, she was thinking "Is it because of the way I am dressed that they think I can't afford this, or its the way I look?" She left the shop and never came back again. The lady had lost a very potential customer.



I know a lot of you can relate to this kind of  treatment from Customer Support personnel, shop attendants, waiters, etc where people give
preferential treatment to people who "look" good, rich or worthy of good customer relations. Should that be the case?
For me, all customers deserve the best treatment that they can get. You need to smile and treat all customers with the best reception. Greet them and ask if they need help even before they begin to speak especially for those you meet face-to-face. Your smile should be welcoming and exceptional. It is very bad to assume what people want or how much they can spend based on how they look. It is very bad to judge by what we see.


Serving Customer is your top priority.

Also, you need to understand that serving customers is your top priority. You need to make sure they are attended to before returning to other tasks. Another friend of mine in my office also shared an experience where she was at the bank to make a deposit, right in front of her, the teller was receiving personal calls and had a divided attention in handling her. He kept asking the same questions over and over again. My friend was wondering if it was because her money was small? lol, This can be very rude, frustrating and disrespectful. Not when you have a customer in front of you waiting to be served. Better still, you can ask the customers permission to pick a personal call if it is very important. The former shouldn't happen :-) when you have a customer, give him or her your topmost attention. It makes them feel important.


Another friend I follow on Instagram shared an experience about sitting at a restaurant for close 2 hours without anyone attending to her. She shared a story and in her own words, "..so I went to sit at xxx for almost 2 hours and nobody came to ask me if I will eat something or not...is it because I don't have dollars? let me take my small cedis away" a lot of us can relate to this too isn't it?

Keep Your Customers Well Informed


Another thing is in order to enhance customer loyalty, it is important to keep your customers well informed about updates of your products and services. In order to avoid some customers feeling left out, try as much as you can to keep customers well informed of your systems and processes. If they don't understand they will get impatient and angry. If you suggest a solution to a customer, just make sure it is a very efficient one. It saves every other person some stress.


Your feedback and comments are always welcome as usual, let's discuss and look for better ways in making customers our priority, treating each and every one of them with respect regardless. I will be coming up with some series on how customers should relate to customer service personnel or what do you think? Let me know your thoughts.


Keep being awesome!
Yours Truly,
Ese


Customer Support Associate
DreamOval Limited

No comments: